Wednesday 9 January 2013

Happy New Year (and a 'little' chat)



Happy New Year everyone and I hope you had a really good Christmas. I had a lovely time back at home with my family but sadly I was ill over new years so didn't get to see as many people as I was hoping to. Having said that I still feel like it was non-stop at home, but now I'm back in Malta (and the sun is shining! ..well for the moment at least) I can sit down, relax with a cuppa tea, and spend some time with my blog. Christmas is a family time and for me that meant a majority of my time was spent playing silly games and eating amazing food so my blog was pushed to the background. But now it's the new year and time to organise and throw myself back into the world of blogging.

This year I've decided I'm going to have a little shuffle around of my blog. When I first created Becoming Hugo it was just for me. No one was reading it, none of my friends or family new about it, it was just something I enjoyed doing for me. None of my friends have a blog, so it was just a tester to see if I enjoyed it. I can honestly say I love my blog. It's sounds silly and soppy but I'm very proud of it. Now some of my friends/family check it as a way of seeing how I'm doing abroad, and I've started gaining a few followers. This is boggling to me. That some people that I've never met might actually be interested or want to read what I write. Crazy!

However, I don't want to lose sight of what this blog means to me, and right now I think its a little disorganised and it is time for a new years change. Here are my ideas:

Interactive
I want to welcome my new readers by making my posts interactive. I'm going to try to reply to most of the comments that people leave and listen to any feedback or ideas suggested.

About Me
I want to create an about me section on my blog so people can find out a little more about it and maybe understand my blog better. I love reading about other people on their blogs (yes, I'm nosy like that) and I can't be the only person.

Content
Most of the blogs I read are beauty blogs (with a couple of fashion ones thrown in too) so in my mind I tried to follow that path too, but looking through my blog I can see I have a real mix of topics. I used to get a bit stressed about whether or not I'd posted enough 'beauty' posts rather than just posting what I wanted to talk about. So this year there's going to be a change. I'm still going to blog about reviews and products but there will be lifestyle posts thrown in too, all guilt free. I'm a real foodie and love to cook, so I might start a cooking feature or talk about recipes I like. Basically what I'm trying to say is that blogging is a big learning curve, and my blog hasn't quite found itself yet. But throughout this year I hope to find that out. I understand the things that I post might not be as interesting for some people to read, but if I'm passionate about what I'm writing then I hope that will show through.

So what do you think? Did you know exactly what you were going to blog about before you started? And has it changed at all since the beginning? 

H x

2 comments:

  1. I think it's important to have a separate about me page, apparently it's the first thing some bloggers look at when stumbling across your blog - or so I read!

    And definitely mix it up with content, I worried about not having a niche and just talking about anything, but ehh. A blog is for you if anyone else so just write what you feel when you feel it!

    I started just writing about the city life in London then moved on to beauty, restaurant reviews and even relationship advice. I love having the option to blog about what ever I want depending what mood I'm in!

    These are some really good goals, looking forward to seeing what you come up with :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's so great to hear. I love following your blog so that gives me so much confidence. I think it's great that you cover so many things and it's one of the main reasons I think your blog stands out (well, it's what got me reading it). So thank you :)

      Delete